Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ode to Arusuvai, friendship, memories!

As mentioned yesterday, when I received this aromatic masala from Maya of Konkan World, I exactly knew what I am going to make. I am going to make at least four dishes from it. Thanks to Maya's generosity, actually I can make many more. but these four dishes - batata patal bhaji, dry peas patal bhaji, masala poha & masala kurmura (charmurya upkari) - will be prepared in my kitchen soon. So the first on my list - Batata patal bhaji was on the menu for our dinner last night. I didn't follow any recipe. I just let Maya's masala take the lead, and made this simple yet aromatic and delicious curry. This is Maya's homemade masala so it bursts with a lot of flavor & incredible aroma.

Vatana - Batata Patal Bhaji
Konkani Alu Matar
4 medium potatoes, peeled, boiled, cubed
1 cup green peas
1 tomato, chopped
salt to taste
sugar to taste
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprig of curry leaves
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
Fresh lemon wedges
1. Heat oil in a kadai.
2. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. As the mustard seeds splutter, add potatoes, green peas, tomatoes.
4. Add 1/2 cup water, salt to taste, sugar to taste, poha masala.
5. Bring it to boil.
6. Lower the gas flame, cover with the lid. Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
8. Garnish with cilantro.
9. Serve with lemon wedges on side.
10. Can be served with rotis/chapatis, parathas or dosas. I served with chora na pooda - which is a Gujarati dosa with red chowli daal. I will post this recipe soon.
Note -
1. You can adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding more or less water.
2. You can mash one of the potatoes, while keeping the rest as cubes. So the mashed potato gives the thickness to the gravy.
Now it's my turn to pass on the surprise ingredients. I am passing it to these wonderful friends -
Uma of Essence of Andhra
Pooja of Creative Pooja
Girls, I will email you as soon as I mail the ingredient. Please give me a day or two. Thanks for your friendship.
My wonderful blogger buddy Purnima of fantasy cooking, is not in the same geographical zone as me. So I am unable to send the ingredient to her.But I am sending loads of love, hugs and best wishes to her as a part of Arusuvai friendship chain. Thanks Purnima, for being there.

Note - I emailed some of you but didn't get a response. I do not know if the email went into spam or you just didn't check the email? But I don't want to bother you with redundant emails.
Also, to those of you, who would like to be a part of this friendship chain, make sure that your profile displays your email address, so you can be contacted.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs