Corn Poha/pressed rice
1 cup thick pohe/pressed rice
1/2 cup yellow sweet corn niblets, fresh or frozen
salt to taste
sugar to taste
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp asafoetida
9 curry leaves
2 green chilies, slit
1 tsp freshly grated coconut
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves (optional)
1. Clean and wash pohe/pressed rice and drain in a colander.
2. Heat oil in a kadai or wok.
3. Add all the ingredients for the tempering. Add corn. Let it cook for about 5 minutes till the corn is cooked. You can sprinkle few drops of water for corn to cook. If using frozen corn, water may not be needed.
4. Now, add pohe. Mix well so it is nicely incorporated.
5. Add salt, sugar to taste.
6. Cover and let it cook for 5 more minutes.
7. Garnish with coconut and cilantro, if using. Serve with lemon wedges on side.
1. If using fresh corn on cobs, you can scrape the corn niblets or grate the corn. I used the frozen corn.
2. Depending on the quality of corn, you may need to decide the cooking time needed for the corn. If using frozen, they get cooked pretty quickly.
Happy International Women's Day!This post is my contribution to Zorra's International Women's day event.