Sunday, February 3, 2008
The stew recipe is my good friend's mom's recipe. I have seen her making this stew many times, though I never wrote down the recipe. But I distinctly remember what she did. I still remember, that I was quite surprised to see the amount of curry leaves that went in. But when you taste this delicious stew, you realize what a wonderful flavor they add.
4-5 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, cut into chunks
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 tsp oil
20 curry leaves
1/2" ginger, peeled, minced
2 green chilies, slit
1 can light coconut milk, Stir well
salt to taste
1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
few drops of coconut oil
1. Heat oil. Add onions and curry leaves. Let the onion soften. Do not let it brown.
2. Add boiled potato chunks, ginger, green chilies and 1/2 cup water. Cover with a lid. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Now add salt to taste and well stirred coconut milk from the can.
4. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add freshly ground black pepper.
5. Drizzle a few drops of coconut oil
1. The recipe recommends using coconut oil, though I substituted with Canola oil for frying and a few drops of coconut oil for flavor.