Sunday, February 3, 2008

Rumali Roti

After my HSc exam, during the May (summer) vacation, I did a class of "Rotis and Parathas". Our affable teacher taught us Rumali Roti, Tandoori Roti, Lachcha Paratha, Mughlai stuffed kheema Paratha, Kulcha and Layer Paratha and many more. She used her own ingredients, and taught us from scratch. and she gave all the students the taste too. It was a wonderful session.I wanted to attend all of her classes. But unfortunately, that was the only class I could attend. After HSc, college life became hectic, and my cuisine teacher never had classes on the weekends. I wish I had done all of her classes

Looking back, I think that was a wonderful gift by my parents, who always encouraged my culinary adventures. It indeed was a great experience. I can't think of anything else that would have been a better stress buster - at least for me! Thanks, Mom & Dad - you are the best!! :-)

Rumali Roti


1 1 /2 cup All Purpose Flour/Maida

1/2 cup wheat flour

1/4 tsp Salt

1 1/2 T sugar

1/4 t baking soda

1 egg

3 Tbsp oil

1/4 cup milk (warm) + 1/4 cup water (warm)


1. Mix all the ingredients except flour.

2. Add the mixture in the flour. Knead a soft dough.

3. Keep a moist, clean cloth over the dough. and keep aside for at least 10 minutes, not more than 1 hour.

4. Keep an inverted kadai on the gas. Let it heat.

5. Take one ball. Roll as thin circle as you possibly can. You may need to work on a clean kitchen counter/platform. since the roti will be bigger in circumference than usual chakla-belan/polpaat-laatna.

6. Lift the roti carefully. Place on the inverted kadai. This roti is really big, how big? It covers the entire circumference of the inverted wok. See below-

7. Wait for the bubbles to appear.
8. Flip on the other side.

9. Keep flipping. Make sure it doesn't burn.

10. Take out as brown spots appear. Fold like a handkerchief and serve immediately. I completely forgot to take the last picture of folded rumaal -like (handkerchief style) Rumali Rotis...I am so mad at myself!! :-o

Note & Lessons learned -

1. My previous attempt of using just wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour failed. Wheat flour dough was not as elastic as all-purpose dough. It could very well be my limited knowledge & ability. Next time I will try 1:1 ratio of all-purpose flour: wheat flour. The original recipe called for 2 cups all-purpose flour (maida).

2. Try to use iron kadai. Since I don't have an iron kadai, I used a wok.

3. Rumali rotis are made on the "coal sighdis" - my teacher had said!

4. Some shops in Mumbai sell a special flour for making tandoori roti and rumali rotis. My scribbled notes during that class say so. I haven't seen it in any shop, but then I never actively looked for it either.

5. If you do not want to use egg, use more baking soda - My teacher's tip.

6. While rolling the roti, make sure it is uniformly thin from all sides. Sometimes only middle part becomes thin and outer one, around edges remains thick. That will burn the roti in the middle and the edges will be undercooked.

7. Keep flipping/rotating the rumali roti quickly (as it gets cooked quickly since it's very thin and kadai becomes very hot). Taking pictures simultaneously is not really a good idea! ;-)

8. Rolling and roasting rumali roti, taking pictures and an excited pre-schooler (to see a new roasting technique of inverted kadai) make your kitchen a big mess! :-)

Update -

My new friend, Aruna has graciously shared her Rumali Roti tricks that she learned from a chef. Thanks so much, Aruna!-

1.Brushing/applying salt water to the pan.

2. Never make it out of wheat flour or a combo. It tastes the best when made out of all purpose flour.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs