This is the shira that is prepared for Satyanarayan Prasad. But it always confuses me that all the ingredients are required in 1 1/4 measurement. Now in order for semolina to cook, it needs double amount of liquid. So how would same amount of liquid be sufficient? So I use 1 1/4 measure water and 1 1/4 measure milk.
Clarification : A reader - Archana clarified that for Prasadacha shira, you always add double measure of liquid. So use double the amount of milk or milk+water mixture compared to the rawa/semolina.
1 1/4 cup semolina
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup ghee
1 1/4 cup milk ( + 1 1/4 cup water)
1 1/4 ripe banana, chopped
5 green cardamoms, peeled & crushed
few threads of saffron (optional)
1. Heat spoonful of ghee/clarified butter. Fry banana pieces and set aside.
2. Heat remaining ghee.
3. Roast semolina on a low flame.
4. Heat milk, water and sugar - in a separate container - till it comes to a boil.
5. Add milk mixture to roasted semolina. Keep stirring till homogeneous mass is formed.
6. Add cardamom powder, saffron - if using, and fried banana pieces. Mix well.
1. Add 2 1/2 cups of milk or 1 1/4 cup of milk + 1 1/4 cup of water for the above recipe.