This is my mom-in-law's recipe. She sends me the pickle masala, so the picture above, is of her pickle masala.
Gujarati Sambhaar/Pickle Masala
2 cups Rai Kuriya (coarsely ground mustard seeds)
1 cup Methi Kuriya (Coarsely ground fenugreek seeds)
1/4 cup whole black peppercorn
2 cups coarse Chili powder
1 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Turmeric powder
2 cups oil
1 1/2 cup coarse salt
1. Heat oil in a kadai/wok to the boiling point.
2. Let it cool down.
3. Pour the rest of the ingredients in the completely cooled oil.
5. store in an air-tight container.
1. Do not add the ingredients when the oil is hot. else it will turn black and also the steam/droplets will be formed. That will destroy the masala completely.
2. You can use the above masala to make annual kairi/raw mango pickle or impromptu pickle of almost any raw vegetables from carrots, cauliflowers, turnip, kohlrabi, jicama. I recently made kohlrabi pickle using this pickle masala.