For non-vegetarians, - Vade, malvani kombdi or chicken masala, fish fry, sol kadhi & plain rice
For vegetarians, - Vade, kalya vatanyachi amti, kachrya, sol kadhi & plain rice
A complete Malvani thali from my kitchen to yours...
1/3 cup urad daal
rice flour, as needed
salt to taste
oil for deep frying
1. Soak urad daal overnight.
2. Next morning, grind to a fine paste, using minimum water.
3. Take out the paste in a big plate, add salt to taste and keep adding rice flour, few spoons at a time, so you can knead the dough.
4. After kneading the dough, cover and leave aside for about 15 minutes.
5. Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
6. Take out small balls, and roll out thick disks/puris
7. Deep fry till brown spots appear on both sides.
1. Urad daal paste gets quite sticky so you probably need about 2 cups or more rice flour to get the desired dough-like consistency.
2. When rolling the puris, keep them thick and not too thin, for the original flavor.
You can even get the readymade vada flour at this shop in Mumbai.