Monday, February 18, 2008
I have already blogged about Malvani chicken masala. But that is a coconut based curry where as today's curry has the base of onions and famous Malvani Masala. If you have a friend who can spare some Malvani masala, grab it and use it. because that's what gives the real flavor to this famous curry.
Malvani style chicken curry
1.5 lb chicken, cut into small pieces
salt to taste
3-4 kokum, soaked in 1/2 cup water2-3 tbsp Malvani Masala
4-5 green chilies
1 bunch of coriander leaves
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup yogurt
Grind to fine paste
2-3 medium onions
4 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Clean, cut and wash chicken pieces.
2. Grind the masala for marination. Marinate the chicken with masala and refrigerate overnight.
3. Grind the onion garlic paste.
4. Heat oil in a pressure cooker handi or a pot.
5. Add onion paste. Keep frying till onion paste is nicely browned and raw smell of onions is completely disappeared.
6. Add malvani masala. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
7. Add marinated chicken pieces along with the marinade. Stir fry for 5 minutes.
8. Add kokum water, salt to taste.
9. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
10. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
11. Serve hot with malvani vade.
1. I have expedited the process by using the pressure cooker. The original method requires making the curry in a big pot, covering it with a lid. Add water on the lid. Cook on the slowest possible flame. As the water on the lid begins to boil, pour that water in the curry and add more water on the lid. This goes on till the chicken is completely cooked.