Lemon Yogurt Cake
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa at home by Ina Garten
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour /maida
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
3 extra-large eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest (of 2 lemons)
1/2 tsp vainlla extract/essence
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze (Optional)
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 81/2x41/4x21/2 inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt in one bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.
4. Slowly fold in dry mixture in nto the wet mixture. Make sure there are no lumps.
5. With rubber spatula, fold in vegetable oil. Mix well.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes.
7. Cook 1/3 cup lemon juice with remaining 1/3 cup sugar till sugar dissolves and the mixture becomes clear. Set aside
8. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Take out While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture. Allow to soak in. Cool.
9. Combine the glaze ingredients and pour over the cake.
1. I did not make the glaze. It still tasted good. But 1/2 cup sugar & lemon juice mixture is necessary otherwise the cake will taste almost sugarless.
2. I think when you have some leftover sugar syrup from Gulabjamun, you can use it (by adding lemon juice) for the glaze.
3. Chef Garten used whole-milk yogurt but I used non-fat version.
This post is my contribution to Jihva:Lime/Lemon at The Spice Cafe by Coffee.
Jihva series is started by Indira of Mahanandi.