And just for your information, "Pandhra" means color white.
Kolhapuri Pandhra Rassa
1 kg mutton /chicken
1 cup coconut milk
Grind to a fine paste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro/coriander leaves (optional)
2 Onions, sliced
4 Green Chilies
4-5 big cloves Garlic
1 cup coconut
2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp Peppercorns
salt to taste
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves
1. Grind all above ingredients and apply that paste to mutton. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or better yet, overnight.
2. Heat oil. Fry above meat mixture. Add 1 cup water.
3. Cover with a lid. Add water on the lid. Switch the gas to low.
4. Let it cook till mutton is soft. Keep adding water from the lid to the pot and add more water to the lid as time goes by.
4. When the mutton is cooked, add 10 cups water. Bring to boil.
5. Add coconut milk. Simmer for 2 minutes. Switch off the gas.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
1. If you add cilantro in the paste (like I did!), the color of the curry becomes greenish. Do not add cilantro if you prefer the curry to be more white.
2. The consistency of this curry should be like a broth. So keep adding more water if it looks too thick.