Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Assamese Bhakri -1

Last weekend, I read an interesting article about"Bhut Jolokia" - which is farmed in the northeast part of India, was plucked from obscurity last year when the Guinness Book of World records declared it the world's hottest. The standard of measure is Scoville Heat Unit or SHU. Red Savina Habanero scored in the range of 500,000 - 1000000 SHU, where as Bhut Jolokis scored 1041427. I just can't imagine how hot it must be. The article says that locals in Assam, Manipur and Nagaland, add fresh chopped bhut jolokia to the pot when cooking curries. For the rest of this article, read here. WSJ also provided the information about how to reach Assam.

Well, the only way we could travel to Assam right now is through my kitchen. :-)
I got inspired to cook what I was planning from a long time. A wonderful bhakri from Assam where Green Moog and rice are made into powder and then roti/bhakri is cooked. I really loved the pale green color of the flour and also similar shade of green for bhakris. It was something totally different. Moog did impart some flavor of its own which may or may not be liked by all. However, we loved it. I also did my little experiment next day, by making the flour of wheat and green moog. But I will blog about it soon.
Here's what I did.

Assamese Bhakri Flour
1 part rice
1 part green moog


1. Using a heavy duty grinder, grind to make fine flour.

2. Store in an air-tight container.

Assamese Bhakri

2 cups Assamese bhakri flour
salt to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
Lukewarm water, as needed

1. Mix all the dry ingredients, and knead a soft dough using lukewarm water.
2. Roll into chapatis/bhakris.
3. Roast like bhakris i.e. without adding oil or parathas i.e. adding oil.
4. Serve hot with Assamese potato curry - Reel Doh.

Note -
1. The flour should not be coarse, else you will have trouble kneading/rolling it.
2. I was surprised to see that I could actually roll the bhakris easily using rolling pin.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs