Rice Crispies Chiwda
1 lb Rice Crispies, plain
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp carom seeds/owa/ajmo/ajwain
2 green chilies, cut
3/4 cups cashewnuts
1 cup peanuts
1 cup potato sticks (ready made) - optional
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt (or per taste)
1/4 tsp garam masala
2 sprigs curry leaves
1. Heat oil. Add all the seeds and powders.
2. Add green chilies and curry leaves
3. As the chilies change the color, add peanuts and cashewnuts.
4. Saute for about 10 minutes on a low flame till the nuts look crunchy.
5. Now add crispies, potato sticks - if using, salt and sugar.
6. Keep stirring so all the masala coats the crispies. Do not let them burn.
7. Take out and spread on a deep plate or paraat, lined with paper towel to drain out excess oil.
1. Rice Krispies is a toasted rice cereal. When used this cereal, you do not have to deep fry the poha to make the chiwda. I especially like Brown Rice Crispies that's available at Sprouts Farmers Market.