Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pa Chao

I love cooking and I love to collect different recipes and try them out. Though I have tried my hands on many regional cuisines of India and some from around the world, I am very embarrassed to admit, that I hardly know anything about the far eastern states of India. I kept looking for the recipes, but never found one. So you can imagine how happy I must have been when I found a recipe from "Arunachal Pradesh" in a wonderful cookbook "Indian Cooking Without Fat" by Mrs. Mridula Baljekar. More than this healthful recipe of fish curry, I was excited that it was from Arunachal Pradesh - the place which cuisine I was not at all familiar with and was dying to try out.

Mrs. Baljekar says that she got this recipe from her friend who is from Arunachal Pradesh. and the curry brings out the flavors of the tribal foods in the Himalayan foothills. Now that sounds so exotic, isn't it?

So here's the recipe -

Pa Chao (Fish Curry from Arunachal Pradesh)
Adapted from "Indian Cooking without fat" by Mrs. Mridula Baljekar
4 rainbow trout steaks (or any firm fish steaks/pieces)
Salt to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp paprika or chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder

Grind to a fine paste
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
2 green chilies, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1" ginger root, peeled, chopped
1 tbsp dessicated coconut

1 tbsp chopped cilantro/coriander leaves

1. Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder, lemon juice and chili powder/paprika over the fish steaks. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
2. Grind the rest of the ingredients to make a fine paste.
3. Pour the ground paste in a wide nonstick saucepan. Add some more salt to taste. Remember you have already sprinkled some salt over the fish steaks. Let it cook for 7 minutes.
4. Add marinated fish pieces in a single layer. Cover with a lid. Cook for 7-9 minutes. Shake the pan from side to side and spoon over some sauce on the fish pieces.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with plain basmati rice.

Note -
1. The original recipe calls for the canned tomatoes, however I preferred to use fresh ones.
2. The recipe calls for salmon, but I made this curry with rainbow trout.

For trying this and many more healthful recipes from all around India, read "Indian Cooking Without Fat" by Mrs. Mridula Baljekar.

This post is my contribution to RCI:North East India by Bhags at Crazy Curry.

Regional cuisines of India (RCI) event is started by Lakshmi of Veggie Cuisine


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs