Thursday, January 31, 2008

Kolumbo Masala

Most of the recipes I have blogged, have a source from family or friends or newspaper clippings or cookbooks or my own idiosyncratic experiments. The source of this recipe is very special. Every time I look at those scribbles, it touches my heart. My maternal grandmother's recipe hastily written by my mom when she was a new bride, and was given to me (or rather I demanded) when I got married. It's the most treasured and cherished part of my wedding trousseau.

I always follow this recipe as-is though the resulting masala is too much for our family of 2 & 1/2. But since I don't like to change the recipe I follow it. My grandmother never stored this masala. She always made it fresh, and so her kolumbo used to burst with fresh flavors. The recipe gives me masala enough for kolumbo for 2 occasions. I generally use the first one for kolumbo and second for alsande kolumbo (black eyed peas sambar).

Whenever I look at mom's notes, it makes me realize how the recipes are preserved and handed down from mothers to daughters, generations to generations.

Kolumbo Masala
4-5 black peppercorns
12 byadgi chilies
2 tbsp chana daal
2 tbsp toor daal
2 tbsp urad daal
3 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida

1. Dry roast all the above ingredients.
2. Grind to a fine powder.
3. Store in an airtight container.

For maximum flavor, always make a fresh batch of masala before making kolumbo. and grind again with tamarind and water and then add the masala mixture to the Kolumbo.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs