Sunday, January 6, 2008

Green Soybean Pohe

After coming to the United States, one thing that got eliminated from our lives is Indian breakfast. Since all three of us leave home by 7:30 in the morning, none is in the mood to eat Pohe, Upma and idlis that early. We all are happy with our own cereal & milk, with a glass of OJ. But then Pohe, Upma, Idlis appear as the dinner items when I want to make a one dish meal.

Yesterday was one such day. As I was driving home, I was thinking about what to make for the dinner. I was ready for just one dish meal and Pohe(in Marathi) or pavva (in Gujarati) came to my mind. But I wanted to make something substantial, with some good amount of protein as an accompaniment. Boiled egg? it didn't sound right with pohe, you know! and then Bingo! Fresh soybeans. What if I make Soybeans pohe just like vatane pohe? With a mere 1/2 cup soybean giving 12 gm of protein, it sounded just what I wanted.

I first ate soybeans when we were invited to our Japanese friend's house for a party. She had kept a few baskets of boiled, fresh soybeans with a touch of salt. Just open the pods and eat the boiled soybeans. They tasted yum! Soybeans or Edmami are available in the supermarket as shelled or in pods in the frozen section.

Since last few months that I am blogging, I have really enjoyed taking parts in the food blog events. Many times, I have especially cooked for such events. But this time, after making these soybean pohe and writing the draft now, I read Rajitha's event of WBB and ingredients - Soy and products. I was just overjoyed and really thought that Rajitha read my mind. :-)

Here's what I did -

Soybean Pohe
Ingredients
2 cups pohe (Pressed Rice)
2 cups fresh/frozen green soybeans
Salt to taste

sugar to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed

Tempering
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 red chilies (I was out of green ones!)
1/2 onion, chopped finely
7-9 curry leaves

Garnish
1 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
2 lemon wedges
1 tbsp freshly grated coconut (Optional)

Method
1. Wash pohe in a colander and leave aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a kadai/wok. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. Stir fry for about 5 minutes or so till onion is softened
4. Add soybeans. Fry for another 3-4 minutes till they are softened
5. Add salt & sugar to taste.
6. Add washed pohe. Cover with a lid. Lower the flame. Slow cook for 5 more minutes.
7. Stir in lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro and coconut, if using. Serve with lemon wedges.

Note -
1. I used the Whole foods brand of frozen soybeans.
2. Soybeans have a unique nutty flavor. Just to taste if you would like this zany pohe, just boil or microwave a handful of frozen green soybeans with a pinch of salt. If you like them, try it in the pohe. Else use green peas. :-)


This is my contribution to Rajitha's (of Hunger Pangs) WBB: Soy and products.

Weekend Breakfast Blogging (WBB) is the brainchild of Nandita of Saffron Trail.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs