Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Fatfree Tandoori Naan (Makes 12 naans)
adapted from Secrets of fat-free Indian cooking
1/4 cup warm water
1 tbsp bread machine's yeast
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp ground flax seeds (optional)
2 tbsp barley flour (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic for making garlic naan
1 tbsp finely chopped onions & cilantro for making onion naan
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds for making sesame naan
1 tbsp crushed kasoori methi for making methi naan
1. Mix yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup warm water in a bowl. Keep aside in a worm place till it gets foamy.
2. Mix yogurt and milk in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds. Stir in baking powder and baking soda. Mix. Make sure the bowl is big enough as the mixture will expand.
3. In a big bowl, mix wheat flour, barley flour, ground flax seeds, salt. Make a well in a center. Add yogurt mixture and yeast mixture. Mix with hands. Adding remaining 1/2 cup water, knead to form a smooth and soft dough. Cover with a wrap. Keep in a warm place till at least 2 hours so the dough doubles in size.
4. With floured hands, make 12 balls. Cover and let them rest for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 500 F. Press the balls of dough into circles or ovals. Sprinkle the toppings, if you wish or do not sprinkle anything for making plain naans. Bake for 4 - 5 minutes.
6. Remove from oven. Let the naans cool. Wrap in an aluminum foil.
For making these naans, the oven is set to max of 500F temperature. Make sure that kids are NOT in the kitchen when you are opening the oven door.
1. I used wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour. So the naans were more brownish than whitish as available in the restaurants. But the taste was not compromised.
1. The wonderful book "Secrets of Fat-free Indian Cooking" by Priya Kulkarni & Anita Ranade. Though I have not tried all the recipes, I am really happy that I bought this book for the awesome results I got with these butterless butter chicken and Naans.