Since I don't get mutton here, I used chicken instead.
Mangalori Green Chicken
1 1/2 lb Chicken, cleaned & cut
2 medium Onions, roughly sliced
¾ cup grated fresh coconut
3-5 cloves of garlic
3-5 green chilies
1 big bunch of coriander leaves/cilantro
1 tsp Tamarind pulp
5 pepper corns
1 " Cinnamon
1 Green cardamom
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
2 tsp. Cumin seeds
1 tbsp + 1tsp Oil
A pinch of Turmeric powder
1 Tomato, chopped (Optional)
15 curry leaves
1. Roast Coconut and keep aside.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil. Fry onions till pink.
3. Grind roasted coconut, onions, green chilies, ginger, garlic, coriander leaves, tamarind, peppers, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, poppy seeds, cumin seeds adding some water
4. Heat 1tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. Add curry leaves.
5. Fry the ground masala.
6. Add turmeric powder. Add tomato slices and salt to taste. Stir well.
7. Add chicken and some water
8. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Switch off the gas. Let the pressure drop completely before opening.
10. Serve hot with paratha or rice.
1. Use very less turmeric powder to retain the green color of the curry.
3. I generally use Prestige Pressure Handi for this recipe. Prestige pressure pan or even any cooker will work too. If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can cook this curry in any regular saucepan too.