For more information, Pakhtoon, Juhu Centaur/Tulip Star hotel
Friday, December 7, 2007
Few years back, Times of India (the city supplement, Bombay times to be precise!) ran the series "Your Speciality". The readers used to request their favorite restaurant recipe and the owner/chef of that restaurant would oblige with their signature recipe. I had clipped all those recipes. I was still studying then, and I couldn't try any of those recipes. Today, while going through that collection, I decided to try these recipes that now make me nostalgic of my city - Mumbai.
What can I say about Chef Sanjeev Kapoor? I used to watch each and every episode of his Khana Khazaana when I was in India. I used to scribble each and every recipe on whatever I find that moment which included my recipe book , newspaper, envelopes, my practical journals!!:-)
In my collection of Bombay Times "Your Speciality" articles, a reader has requested a recipe of Hazarvi Kabab, served at Pakhtoon Restaurant, Centaur Hotel, Juhu. Here's executive chef, Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe. I have modified it a bit by adding bell peppers and making mace powder an optional ingredient since I didn't have it!
Hazarvi Kababs by Sanjeev Kapoor
1 Boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
2 tbsp ginger paste
2 tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp white pepper powder
Salt to taste
1/2 red bell pepper, 1/2 yellow bell pepper, 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into cubes
Butter for basting
80 gm grated cheese
4 green chilies, chopped
2 tbsp cilantro/coriander leaves, chopped
100 ml fresh cream
1/4 tsp mace powder (Optional)
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
salt to taste
1. Apply ginger, garlic paste, white pepper powder and salt to the chicken pieces and bell peppers.
2. Mash cheese, green chilies, nutmeg powder, salt, coriander leaves together.
3. Add egg to the cheese mixture. Mix well.
4. Add chicken/bell peppers to the cheese mixture. Now add fresh cream. Mix.
5. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
6. Thread chicken & bell peppers pieces on the skewers. Preheat oven to 350 F
7. Bake for about 15-30 minutes basting butter as needed.