It's extremely cold here, and so today I prepared this heartwarming Khichadi. Easy to make, just perfect for a lazy day.
Mom's Moog Daal Khichadi
1 cup rice
1 cup moog daal
A pinch of asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp goda masala
Salt to taste
3 1/2 - 4 cups water
1. Check daal and rice for any impurities. Wash. Keep in a big container of the pressure cooker.
2. Add water and all the ingredients mentioned above.
3. Let the mixture soak till you are ready to eat. Soaking time can vary anywhere from 2-3 hours to 10 minutes. It's a hassle-free Khichadi. No stringent rules here.
4. Pressure cook for about 4-5 whistles.
5. Let the pressure drop of its own.
6. Open the steaming Khichadi. Serve hot.
7. Achar/Papads/Raita would be ideal accompaniments.
Serve with -
2. Plain yogurt
3. Tempered oil - Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small tempering pan. Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. As the seeds splutter, bring the tempered oil to the table. As everyone takes their share of Khichadi on the plate, drizzle few drops of tempered oil on the Khichadi. It should make that trademark sizzling sound.
1. You can make variations of this Khichadi by adding chilakewali moog daal(green moog daal with peels) or sprouted moog beans.
2. The tempered oil can also be made in the microwave. Heat oil in a microwave safe pyrex ramekin for 30 seconds. Add mustard seeds. Heat for another 30 seconds or till the mustard seeds start spluttering. The microwave times vary so you need to check which time suits best for your microwave.
3. The proportion of rice/daal can be changed from 1:1 to 1:2 if you prefer mushier/softer version Khichadi (like a porridge) with more daal. or 2:1 if you prefer dry khichadi like pullao.
4. You can substitute Dhanajeera powder (coriander/cumin seed powder), or some khada masala (whole spices) if you don't have goda masala.