Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Moghlai Garam Masala

When Sunita (of Sunita's world) announced her monthly spice event "Cinnamon", I was stumped! Cinnamon is a very important ingredient in my pantry and it gets replenished immediately. But still making a dish from Cinnamon as a star ingredient seems to be a challenge to me.

I do not to combine cinnamon with any desserts. I think that honor goes to Cardamom only. So cinnamon rolls, cinnamon buns, cinnamon muffins are out of question. I am still thinking of cinnamony something. but while browsing through some of the cookbooks, I came across my Sumeet recipe booklet - It had a wonderful recipe for Moghlai Garam Masala. Though Cinnamon was not the only ingredient there, it was one of just three ingredients. So I thought of giving it a shot. Since the recipe from Sumeet booklet seemed the simplest, I decided to go with it. and thus got my first homemade and fragrant Moghlai Garam Masala. Suddenly, my cherished store brought masalas are looking very insipid.

Is it Moghlai or Mughlai? Which one is correct? Thanks for your help in advance! Till I find the correct answer, bear with my Moghlai.

Here's the fragrant recipe -

Moghlai Garam Masala
2 parts Cloves
3 parts Cinnamon
3 parts Peppercorn

1. Roast all three spices lightly one after other.

2. Grind to a fine powder.

3. Store in a dry, airtight container.


Sumeet Recipe Booklet.

I would like to send this post to Sunita's Monthly Spice event:Cinnamon.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs