Saturday, December 15, 2007

Mahesh Lunch Home's Fish Fry


Few years back, Times of India (the city supplement, Bombay times to be precise!) ran the series "Your Speciality". The readers used to request their favorite restaurant recipe and the owner/chef of that restaurant would oblige with their signature recipe. I had clipped all those recipes. I was still studying then, and I couldn't try any of those recipes. Today, while going through that collection, I decided to try these recipes that now make me nostalgic of my city - Mumbai.


Mahesh Lunch home, located at Colaba is considered Seafood lover's paradise. It is supposed to be the first Manglorean restaurant in Mumbai. Since all the information is given here, I've decided to talk about the fish fry recipe instead.

A reader had requested the recipe for "bombay duck fry" (It's a fish, ok?, not really a duck!;-) Bombil in Marathi). Chef Angara of Mahesh Lunch home has shared the recipe. Since we don't get bombay ducks here & I don't care for them much anyways, I have replaced them with pomfrets. I have changed the recipe a little bit to suit the pomfrets that I am using. The original recipe is given at the end.


Interesting Read -
Mahesh Lunch Home by BusyBee

Mahesh Lunch Home's Fish Fry
Ingredients
4 Pomfret slices
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
salt to taste
2 tsp maida
2 tsp rawa

Oil for frying

Method
1. Marinate the fish slices with salt, paprika, tamarind pulp
2. Dredge in the maida,rawa mixture
3. Shallow fry.

Note -
1. Our family recipe for fish fry always include turmeric powder and asafoetida for marinating the fish. We never use maida but only rawa or rice powder for dredging. But I have recently discovered here, that if you dredge the fish in the maize flour, it tastes very crispy and delicious. We also do not use tamarind for fried fish at home. But I always like to try new recipes. and since it is "Mahesh Lunch Home's" recipe, I had to try it their way, to the best of my ability.
2. I have also tasted green masala paste (of green chilies, ginger, garlic) applied to fish slices along with chili powder, turmeric, salt. You may like it if you like your food extra spicy!

Read what NYTimes had to say about Mahesh Lunch Home, here.

Mahesh Lunch Home is located at -

8-B Cawasji Patel Street, Mumbai - 400 001Tel : (91-22) 2287 0938 / 2202 3965

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs