Wednesday, December 12, 2007
My paternal aunt is from Karwar. and she makes this absolutely delicious prawns curry. This is her recipe.
Karwari Prawns Curry (Serves 4-6)
1 lb prawns
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4-5 pieces of drumsticks/shevgyachya shenga/saragawa (optional)
1/2 small onion, chopped finely
Grind to paste
1/2 small onion
1 tsp tamarind pulp(or more based on your preference)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup coconut
1/2 tsp raw rice
1 tsp roasted coriander seeds
5 - 7 byadgi chilies, roasted in coconut oil
1. Apply salt and turmeric powder to prawns and refrigerate till ready to use.
2. Grind remaining onion, tamarind,coriander seeds, rice, chilies, turmeric powder, peppercorns and coconut.
3. Heat coconut oil. Fry chopped onion. Add drumsticks and prawns.
4. When drumsticks are cooked, add ground masala paste
5. Add water to make the gravy of desired consistency.
6. Simmer for 7-9 minutes.
7. Serve with rice.
1. Traditionally, this masala is ground on the stone grinder "Ragda" where stone is considered to add a unique flavor to the gravy.
2. For an authentic taste, a small piece of dried turmeric root is used in the masala paste. It is roasted before adding to the grinder. Do not use fresh turmeric root from the vegetable section.