Sunday, December 16, 2007

Kajuchi Usal

Cashewnut is my most favorite nut. and if it becomes the star ingredient in a spicy dish, it's even better. Kaju chi Usal is one such yummy treat from Konkan. I think, here you will get to eat Kaju che laadoo (cashhew laddoos), Kajuchi garam masala amti (cashew curry with garam masala) and also this kajuchi usal (cashew stir fry). But just after eating one cashew usal, I think I will have to run for two hours on my treadmill for 6 months! So I better make the rest after a long time!:-)

Here's how I make it.

Kaju chi Usal (Serves 4)
काजू ची उसळ
1 cup dry cashewnuts
Salt to taste

1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/8 tsp turmeric (Optional)
7-9 curry leaves
1 red chili, halved
1 green chili halved

1 tbsp coconut

1. Soak dry cashewnuts in 1 1/2 cup warm water for about 2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a wok/kadai/dekhchi.
3. Add all the ingredients for the tempering.
4. As the mustard seeds start spluttering, add drained cashews and 1 tbsp water.Add salt to taste.
5. Cover with the lid. Let them cook.
6. Once they are cooked but not too mushy, switch off the gas.
7. Garnish with coconut.

Note -

1. Use unsalted, raw cashewnuts for the best results.

This post is my contribution to "Click" event (Theme: Nuts) at Jugalbandi.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs