Here's how I make it.
Kaju chi Usal (Serves 4)
काजू ची उसळ
1 cup dry cashewnuts
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/8 tsp turmeric (Optional)
7-9 curry leaves
1 red chili, halved
1 green chili halved
1 tbsp coconut
1. Soak dry cashewnuts in 1 1/2 cup warm water for about 2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a wok/kadai/dekhchi.
3. Add all the ingredients for the tempering.
4. As the mustard seeds start spluttering, add drained cashews and 1 tbsp water.Add salt to taste.
5. Cover with the lid. Let them cook.
6. Once they are cooked but not too mushy, switch off the gas.
7. Garnish with coconut.
1. Use unsalted, raw cashewnuts for the best results.