Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Gujarati Puranpoli

I grew up eating three different kinds of Puranpolis.
1) Maharashtrian Puranpoli (A must for Holi!!) - containing chana daal and jaggery,
2) Mangalori Puranpoli - smaller compared to the above Maharashtrian version, but bright yellow color due to turmeric powder in the dough, - and last but definitely not the least -
3) Gujarati Puranpoli - smaller compared to Maharashtrian version, but made with Toor daal and sugar.
Today, I am going to write about the Gujarati Puranpoli. It's the deadline for sending the entries for Jivha for December with toor daal, and It feels like the last day of submission.
To tell you the truth, I was very apprehensive about making this puranpoli, because I felt what if I couldn't roll it properly? and then I will be left with sweet mush of toor daal. But today, luck was by my side!!
I called my mom-in-law for some guidance yesterday. But her recipe was of 1 kg toor daal. Goodness gracious! I used her recipe and converted it to 1/2 cup. I got about 7 puranpolis.
Here's what I did -
Gujarati Puranpoli (Makes about 7)
1/2 cup toor daal
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
Wheat flour 1 cup + 2tbsp for rolling
1 tbsp oil
A pinch of salt
1. Pressure cook toor daal adding 1 cup water.
2. Take the cooked daal in a saucepan, add sugar and switch on the gas.
3. Keep stirring on a low flame till all the liquid evaporates.
4. Cook this mixture for about 45 minutes. If you put a spatula in the daal, it should stay steady without falling to the edges of the saucepan - that should be the consistency of the daal. This is the most crucial step. Add nutmeg and cardamom powders. Mix well.
5. Meanwhile, mix wheat flour, oil and salt. Knead not too soft dough adding water sparingly. It should not be too hard either. Somewhere between soft and hard is the just right consistency.
6. Cover and keep aside for at least 15 minutes.
7. Make 7 balls of dough. Make 7 balls of toor daal mixture.
8. Roll out a disc of dough. Stuff toor daal mixture, bring the edges of the disc together to make big ball.
9. Using wheat flour for dusting, roll out a roti.
10. Roast the roti on the griddle on a low flame till brown spots appear on both sides.
11. Serve puranpoli with ghee.
I am sending this post to Linda (of out of the garden) for JFI: Toordaal.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs