Monday, November 26, 2007
I have been reading a lot about this new grain -Quinoa ("keen-wa")! I wanted to try it in my cuisine. So when I went to the whole foods last time, I finally brought quinoa home. Since Whole foods have those food bins from where you can choose the desired quantity, I was not stuck with a big sack!
After coming home, I thought what if I combine it with moog daal and make the ultimate comforting Khichdi? After heavy eating during Diwali and Thanksgiving, this simple food was definitely a welcome change.
Here's what I did.
1 cup Qunioa
1 cup Moog daal
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
1 tsp coriander-cumin seed powder
5 black peppercorns
2 baadiya/star anise
1. Soak Quinoa and daal mixture in a pressure cooker container with 3 cups water for at least 2 hours.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Give a stir.
3. About half an hour before serving, pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
4. Let the pressure drop. Open the Khichadi.
5. Serve hot with ghee or yogurt.
Though it's not as comforting as rice/moog daal khichadi, it's not bad either! I am happy I could include this grain in our daily cooking.
More information about Quinoa, click here.