Thursday, November 22, 2007

Pumpkin Thepla



I have not eaten red pumpkin thepla. But I wanted to use pumpkin in today's Thanksgiving feast. I could have made bhoplyacha rassa - Maharashtrian style red pumpkin curry or Bhoplyache Gharge - Maharashtrian style sweet pumpkin puris. But I was already making kheema, chicken etc, so another curry would have been too much. We have been gorging on too much sweet and deep fried food in the name of Diwali, and holidays in general. So I thought it's better if I don't make gharge. Finally I remembered about Gujarati Dudhi na Thepla. So instead of grated dudhi or bottle gourd, I decided to use red pumpkin.

Here's what I did.

Pumpkin Thepla - 12 count
Ingredients
1/2 small red pumpkin, peeled, grated
2 cups wheat flour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dhana-jeera powder/coriander-cumin powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp carrom seeds/thymol seeds/Ajwain/Owa/Ajmo
1 tsp ginger-green chli paste
1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
Water as needed
Oil for shallow frying
Wheat flour for dusting

Method
1. Knead dough using all the ingredients. Use water sparingly.
2. Cover and let the dough sit for about 1/2 hour. The dough looks like below.
3. Make small balls and roll into rotis or theplas.
4. Shallow fry on the pan drizzling very little oil.
5. Wrap in a clean kitchen napkin till ready to use.

Note -
1. To simplify my life, I used my food processor's "shred" blade to grate the pumpkin. A grater can be used too.
2. Based on the thickness and circumference for each thepla, the count may change.
 

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs