1/2 cup Tuvar Daal
1. Pressure cook daal adding asafoetida and turmeric powder.
2. Pour the cooked daal in a saucepan adding about 3/4 cup water. Bring to boil. Add salt.
3. In other small saucepan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds, chili and garlic. Fry till garlic is deep red. Do not let it burn.
4. Transfer the tempered oil in the daal. Switch off the gas.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Cover the lid.
6. Serve hot with plain rice or jeera rice.
1. For the authentic taste, use 1 tbsp amul butter instead of 1 tsp olive oil.
2. You can make a variation of adding minced shallot (small onion) instead of garlic, for a different flavor.
I am planning to send this post as my entry to Jihva: for Toor Daal hosted by Linda of Out of Garden.