Friday, November 30, 2007
I wanted to make something for Chandrika's "A fruit a month" event with dates. I kept thinking about it all the time. I had two recipes Khajoor Kheer and Khajoor poli (like puran poli). But both the recipes were quite elaborate. I was looking forward to something simple and nutritious. Finally, I came up with something of my own. और यूही तुक्का लग गया!
I used this cute mould to shape these balls. I bought this mould last year after reading Anupama's post here.
Khajoor Paak (Makes 12 to 15 balls)
1 cup dates, pitted/seedless
1/3 cup almonds
1/3 cup pistachios
1/2 cup dry milk powder
1/2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
few pistachio slivers
1. In a heavy duty grinder like Sumeet, grind dates, almonds, pistachios, cardamom seeds and milk powder.
2. Take the ground powder out. Drizzle ghee. Knead for a minute.
3. Using the mould like this, shape the dough in the balls.
4. Garnish with pistachio slivers.
1. I did not add any sugar because I thought that the dates were sweet enough. If you prefer sweeter taste, you can certainly add more sugar to suit your taste.
2. Heavy duty grinder is required because no water is added or dates are not soaked.
I am sending this post to Chandrika's "A fruit a month" event with dates.