Thursday, November 22, 2007

Cranberry Methamba (It's a relish!)


I kept thinking of making something from the fresh cranberries. I had made cranberry teacake before. But after making/eating so many sweets for Diwali, I am done with sweets for this year. Our local newspaper had given a recipe for cranberry-pear chutney. But I was not sure, how it will taste and if it will be enjoyed by my family. Finally, I ate one of that tart cranberry and thought of making Methamba!
The only bad thing was that I just couldn't capture that beautiful color of that cranberry relish with my camera. It looked as beautiful as it tasted. But for some reason, I just couldn't get the good picture. Oh well!
Here's what I did.
Cranberry Methamba
Ingredients
1 bag fresh cranberries
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup jaggery (More or less to suit your palette)
1 tsp paprika
Salt to taste
Method
1. Rinse and dry the cranberries. Pulse them in a food processor till you see the bits of the berries. It should not be a complete mush!
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder.
3. As the seeds start spluttering, add crushed cranberries. Stir. Cover with a lid.
4. Cook for about 9 minutes stirring in between, on a low flame.
5. Add salt, paprika and jaggery.
6. Jaggery will melt and it will be a little watery. Cook till all the liquid evaporates.
7. As it cools down, pour it in a mason jar. Refrigerate.

Note -
1. Depending on the tartness of the cranberries, adjust the amount of jaggery to your taste.
With a simple (& ready made!) bow on top, I would like to send this post to Zlamushka's "A spoonful of Christmas" event.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs