Thursday, November 22, 2007
It's a potato salad - South Canara side. It takes less than 5 minutes to put together if potatoes are already cooked.
Here's my Amma's recipe -
Amma's Batatya Gojju (Serves 4)
4-5 Yukon Gold potatoes
2 green chilies
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt, whisked
1 small onion, finely chopped (Optional)
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 red chili, halved
5-7 fresh curry leaves
1 tbsp freshly grated coconut
1. Pressure cook potatoes. Peel and dice them.
2. Mix salt, chilies, yogurt. Stir in potato cubes.
3. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add mustard, cumin seeds, asafoetida, red chili, curry leaves.
4. Drizzle the tempered oil over the salad. Stir well.
5. Garnish with coconut.
1. If you like the flavor, use coconut oil for tempering for the authentic flavor.