Saturday, October 20, 2007

Cooking from other blogs -1

I have been a regular blog reader since last year. Last year, while searching for a recipe, I happened to stumble upon the blogworld. It was Nupur's blog One Hot Stove. and I just got hooked on. From that blog, I clicked several links to others, and from there, a few more. Every blog I have visited was a wonderful presentation of food, customs and culture. It's just amazing that I have never met these bloggers in my whole life. but they seem to be my buddies.

I tried a few family recipes which the bloggers had graciously shared. Today, I would like to show the pictures of the food cooked by me, and links to the recipes of my blog buddies.

Well, I must admit, I used to feel very embarrassed when challenged to cook saboodana khichdi. Now the world loves it. but one bad batch of saboodana, and you get a gooey mess. I just avoided making saboodna khichadi. I love to cook, and I had no idea, how to master this basic dish. and then Nupur's post came along. I can't tell you what a foolproof recipe it is. Even I can cook Saboodana Khichadi now!

I have several recipes of shrimp pullao a.k.a. Kolambi Bhat. I drooled so much looking at Ashwini's picture of Kolambi bhat, that I had to make it immediately.
Thanks, Ashwini!

Shilpa's Nankatayis
It's been ages since I have tasted nankatais. When I saw Shilpa's recipe, I had to try it. It reminded me of my childhood. and as I had guessed, Gudiya enjoyed them too. Thanks, Shilpa!

Inji's Artichoke Thoran
I tweaked this recipe a bit and presented it in the form of Maharashtrian/Malvani Kelphoolachi Bhaji. I also added "kala vatana" (black peas). The very idea that artichoke can be cut and cooked and it reminds of banana flower was very novel to me. Thanks Inji!

Now, I have been eating Paatholi since childhood. Especially, in the month of Shravan, when you start seeing turmeric leaves in the bazaars of Mumbai, mostly in the baskets of Vasaiwalas. But I never thought I will make it myself. Paatholi just looked too exotic to make, and very delectable to eat!

But this spring, when I saw the turmeric roots in the local Indian stores, I was curious to see if they will sprout and give me the turmeric leaves. I threw them in the soil and started day-dreaming about paatholi, cheppi kheer, bangdya ambat, baked fish - all using turmeric leaves. and actually it did sprout and had leaves. Vee's wonderful post about Paatholi helped me, to make my first paatholi. Thanks, Vee!


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs