This is how I make it -
Narangi ni Basundi (Serves 6- 8)
1 litre whole milk (Preferably organic)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 tsp freshly ground cardamom powder
few threads of saffron + 1 tbsp milk
1 ripe orange
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp orange essence (Optional)
few almond / pistachio slivers
1. Boil milk. Lower the flame, let it simmer for about half an hour.
2. Add condensed milk, evaporated milk. Simmer.
3. Keep saffron threads in a spoon and roast them quickly on a low flame . Put roasted saffron in 1 tbsp milk to get a vibrant yellow color. Add the saffron milk in the basundi.
4. Add cardamom. Switch off the gas. Let the basundi cool down completely.
5. Meanwhile, peel the orange. Remove the pith, seeds. We will use only inside orange segments. Chop them. Add the sugar. Keep it in the fridge covered.
6. Add Basundi to a serving bowl. Keep in the fridge. Make sure it's completely chilled.
7. Just before serving, add chopped oranges, orange essence - if using, almonds and pistachios.
Do not add orange in hot basundi, else the milk will curdle. This basundi has to be completely chilled. After putting orange basundi in a serving bowl, remember to serve immediately.