Monday, October 29, 2007

Almond Flour Halwa (1)

When I first heard of Badam Shira, I thought it's usual shira (or rawa kesari) with a generous amount of almonds in it. But then, I tasted it at my friend - Amrita's place. Amrita is a Marwadi. and Badam shira is a very well-known Marwadi specialty. I have simplified the recipe by using the almond flour available in the local supermarket. The original recipe involves soaking, peeling and grinding almonds.

Here's the recipe -

Badam ka Halwa/shira(Serves 4)
Almond Flour Halwa
1 Cup Almond Flour
1/2 cup warm Milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp freshly ground cardamoms
1/2 tsp saffron
2 tbsp ghee

Almond Slivers

1. Heat ghee in a nonstick pan.
2. Roast almond flour for 7 minutes on a low flame. Do not let it burn.
3. Fold in warm milk and sugar. Keep stirring.
4. Sprinkle the cardamom powder and saffron.
5. Garnish with almond slivers.

Note - Traditionally, almonds are blanched, peeled, and then ground to make the shira. When I found the readymade Almond Flour in my local supermarket, I decided to use it to save some time. Make sure that the ingredients on the label of almond flour contains only "blanched almonds" and nothing else! I used this brand.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs